Technical Help for Brain in Hand Users
On this page, Brain in Hand users can find helpful information including technical specifications, troubleshooting help, and answers to common questions about how to use the system.
Brain in Hand currently supports the following mobile operating systems for use with the BiH mobile software:
- iOS 10.3 and later (BiH can be used on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch running a suitable operating system)
- Android 5.1 and later
This information will change over time. We will update this page whenever there is a change, but you can also make sure of the latest supported version by clicking on one of the following links and scrolling down to the 'information' section near the bottom.
To find out what operating system and version you currently have on your phone or tablet, first go to your settings.
- On an iPhone or iPad, go to 'General', then 'About'.
- On an Android phone or tablet, go to 'System', then 'About Phone' or 'About Device'.
We recommend using an up-to-date version of the following browsers to log in to your Brain in Hand web software:
- Chrome (version 62 or later)
- Edge Chromium
- Safari (version 10 or later)
These browsers will provide the best experience. You will receive a warning if you attempt to log in using an earlier version of any of the browsers above (or a Firefox version below 57).
While other browsers and earlier versions may work, for the best experience we recommend upgrading to one of the three browsers specified above.
To find out what version of your web browser you are currently using:
- In Chrome, go to 'File', or the three dots in the top right of the screen, then 'About Chrome'.
- In Edge, select 'Settings and more' at the top of the window. Click 'Settings', scroll down, and click 'About Microsoft Edge'.
- In Safari, click the Safari item in the top menu bar (next to the Apple logo), then click 'About Safari'.
- In Firefox, click the Firefox menu and select 'About Firefox'.
- In Internet Explorer, click the 'Tools' menu in the menu bar, or the cog icon near the top right corner, then 'About Internet Explorer'.
Frequently Asked Questions and Troubleshooting
1. Why can't I log in?
Try checking each of these things:
- Make extra sure that you've typed your email address or username correctly. Very carefully enter your password again (you could select the eye symbol to check that you've typed it correctly, but make sure nobody is looking over your shoulder if you do this). Then try logging in again.
- If you can't remember your password, you can click on 'Problems logging in?' to reset it.
- If you've receive an email or text to tell you that you've been locked out of your account, follow the instructions in the email to reset your password.
- If you still can't get in to your account, please contact us by calling 01392 247 909 or emailing email@example.com.
2. Why am I not receiving event reminders?
If you are receiving reminders to press on your traffic lights, but are not receiving reminders for your diary events, please check your diary page on your Brain in Hand website.
Make sure that if you are expecting to get a reminder for an event, that event has been set up correctly to send you a reminder.
If you are receiving neither reminders for your diary events nor reminders to press on your traffic lights, please see question 4 below.
3. Why am I not receiving traffic light reminders?
Try checking that the traffic light reminders are turned on, and that the start and end times are as you would like them. You could try moving the start and end times further apart to give the reminders a longer period in which to send.
You can do this by going to the 'Settings' page in your Brain in Hand mobile software, which you will see as a cog icon.
- Confirm that, if you are on an Android device, the checkbox next to 'Traffic Light Reminders' is ticked. If you are on an iPhone, confirm that the toggle next to 'Reminders' is in the 'on' position (it should appear green when enabled).
- Check that your interval preference is set to the period you would like (for example, every hour or every two hours). Note that you can pick an option ending 'with reminders' to receive an extra reminder half an hour later, if you haven't yet responded to the original notification.
- Check that the start time and end time are as you would like them.
4. I'm not receiving either traffic light reminders or diary event reminders.
This could be because your phone's settings are preventing Brain in Hand from sending notifications. It might be that Brain in Hand hasn't been given permission to send notifications, or your battery settings may be preventing it from running all its functions.
If you have an iPhone:
- Go to your phone's settings, then select 'Notifications'.
- To choose when you want notification previews to appear, tap 'Show Previews', then select an option: either 'Always' or 'When Unlocked'. (This will be your default setting, but you can override it for individual apps to suit your preferences.)
- Go back to the notifications menu and find 'braininhand' in the list. Then turn 'Allow Notifications' on.
- You can choose how and where you want your Brain in Hand notifications to appear. For example, you could set them to appear on your lock screen, in your Notification Centre, and/or as banners.
To check notification and battery settings on an Android phone:
- Press and hold on the Brain in Hand app icon until the menu pops up.
- Press 'App Info', then 'Notifications'.
- Make sure that notifications are turned on.
- Go back to 'App Info', then select 'Advanced'.
- Select 'Battery'.
- Check the battery saving settings for Brain in Hand (this will not affect any of your other apps):
- Ensure that under 'Background Restriction', it says 'App can use battery in the background'. If it says 'Restricted', press this and select 'Remove'.
- Ensure that under 'Battery Optimisation, it says 'Not Optimised'. If it says anything else, press this, then on the next screen press the dropdown saying 'Not Optimised'. Change this setting to 'All Apps', find Brain in Hand in the list and press on it, then select 'Don't Optimise'. Finally, press 'Done'.
Your settings may be slightly different on a phone made by Huawei or Honor. If you have one of these phones, try following these steps:
- Go to 'Settings', then 'Apps and Notifications'.
- Press 'Apps'.
- Press the settings cog at the bottom and go to 'Special Access'.
- Tap on 'Ignore battery optimisation'.
- At the top, press 'All Apps', then 'Allowed'.
- On the dropdown menu that appears, select 'Brain in Hand' from the list.
- Press 'Allow' and then 'OK'.
If you've tried all of the above steps and are still not receiving notifications, you could try reinstalling the app. To do this, simply delete it from your phone, then visit the App Store or Play Store on your phone, search for 'Brain in Hand', and download it again.
Make sure that you select the option to 'Allow Notifications' when Brain in Hand is reinstalling.
5. What accessibility features are available for Brain in Hand on my phone?
The following features are compatible with the Brain in Hand mobile software.
For Android devices:
- Text-to-Speech for screen reading. This allows you to select text and have your phone read it out loud for you. Go to 'Settings', then to 'Accessibility', and tap on 'Select to Speak'.
- Adjustable font size. This will not increase the text size of items in your diary, but does affect the size of headers. Go to 'Settings', 'Accessibility', then 'Font Size'.
For iOS devices, the following features can be found in your 'Settings' menu under 'Accessibility':
- VoiceOver, Apple's built-in screen reader
- Zoom, a feature that magnifies the whole screen
- Invert Colours, to swap between a black background with white text and vice versa
- Dark Mode, which makes the screen darker and may be more comfortable to look at
- Colour Filters, which allow you to change the colour of your background.
Brain in Hand does not currently support the iOS Text Size Magnification feature.
6. Does Brain in Hand work on tablets?
The Brain in Hand app is compatible with Android tablets running version 5.1 or higher, and iPads and iPod Touches on iOS version 10.3 or higher.
7. Does Brain in Hand work on smartwatches?
Although Brain in Hand isn't designed specifically for smartwatches, most Android and iOS smartwatches will prompt you with event notifications and mood reminders if your main device is set up to allow notifications.
8. Is Brain in Hand compatible with Siri, Alexa, Google Assistant, and other smart assistants?
We don't currently support the use of Brain in Hand with smart assistants.
Need more help?
If the above suggestions haven't helped you to resolve your problem, or if you're still having any difficulties, please contact us for further support.
You can call 01392 247 909, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the contact form just below.